Adapted Physical Education Program
Adapted Physical Education, (APE), is physical education for students with disabilities. The Trumbull County Educational Service Center provides Adapted Physical Education services to 20 Trumbull County school districts.
APE focuses on modifying students’ fitness, gross motor, and perceptual- motor abilities so that students can reach their fullest potential through physical activity. TCESC also provides consultation with school districts so that APE services can be provided in the least restrictive environment.
- The majority of the students served in the APE program are also students in TCESC’s multiple disabilities classroom program.
- Before direct instructional services are provided, the APE instructor assesses students’ gross motor development to determine eligibility for APE services.
- APE also provides students with exposure to community-based lifetime leisure activities to help enhance their quality of life.
- Additional services can be provided on a consultation basis to any of the 20 Trumbull County School districts.
- To receive APE consultation services, a request for APE assessment/consultation form must be completed to initiate the process.
For additional information contact the director of pupil services, Trumbull County Educational Service Center, at 330-505-2800 ext. 133.