As a service to school districts in Trumbull County, TCESC credentials substitute teachers. Individuals wishing to serve as substitute teachers must complete the proper paperwork and training. TCESC requires an appointment for an initial substitute credentialing meeting. Please contact Juli Hickman, human resources secretary at 330-505-2800 ext. 140 to schedule an appointment.
The following items are required as part of a substitute credential file. Links for these documents are found in the blue box on the right.
A Valid Teaching License. Substitute teachers may possess either a substitute teacher license or any type of valid teaching license. The substitute teacher license application and payment must be completed and submitted using the Ohio Department of Education's (ODE) OH|ID Portal. Individuals applying for an initial license will be required to provide official student-issued college transcripts documenting a bachelor's degree. TCESC must scan and submit the original transcripts to ODE.
Please be aware of the following items when preparing to complete your ODE license application:
- After you have reviewed this webpage, contact Juli Hickman, human resources secretary, at [email protected] or 330-505-2800 ext. 140 to make an appointment and obtain the information necessary to complete the online process.
- To apply for any ODE license, you must have an active OH|ID account. It can take a few days to activate an OH|ID account.
- Your background checks must be current within the past year. View information about background checks here.
- You will need a method of payment. ODE will accept a credit card, debit card or electronic check.
- When selecting the effective year of the license, please select the school year in which you wish to work.
- For complete information about online license applications/renewals, click here to visit the ODE website.
Completion of a Substitute Workshop. TCESC requires that substitute complete an online workshop in order to be placed on the credentialed substitute list. Information can be found by clicking the link on the right side of this page.
An I-9 Employment Verification Form. This form must be completed in the TCESC office. It requires proper identification. A passport alone is sufficient identification. If you do not have a passport, you must have a driver's license and a social security card or a driver's license and an original birth certificate. Photocopies of these documents will not be accepted.
Payroll Paperwork. When you substitute, you will be required to do payroll paperwork. For direct deposit purposes, you will be asked to provide a voided check or a bank printout that includes the routing number and account number. If you are substituting in a TCESC classroom, you will complete all of this electronically through Frontline Central.
Substitute Acknowledgement. All substitute candidates must read carefully and sign this document to be considered for placement on the satisfactory and credentialed substitute list that TCESC provides to school districts. Emergency Contact Information. TCESC provides this form as a courtesy to substitutes. This information is helpful in the event of a medical emergency while substituting in the classroom. You may choose to print this form, complete it, and carry it with you when you substitute.