Educators must now renew and apply for licenses through ODE using an online system. Using the My Educator Profile tool, educators are able to update their demographic data and pay licensure fees online using a credit card.
Access My Educator Profile by signing into SAFE.
Note: If your application requires an e-signature of a superintendent, Local Professional Development Committee or college education dean, that individual must be an e-signer before you can submit your application online. Find e-signers.
Please be aware of the following items when preparing to do online licensure renewals or applications:
- You must have a SAFE account. It must be set up and active before you can complete an online renewal or apply for any license. It may take a few days to activate a SAFE account. When an educator creates a SAFE account, the system will ask for a date of birth and the last four numbers of his/her Social Security number. It will also ask for the Ohio drvier's license or a state of Ohio identificaiton number (available from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles). Individuals without one of these forms of identification may take longer to process. There are instructions within the SAFE account creation menu about uploading other forms of identification.
- Your background checks must be current. View information about background checks here.
- You should know who will be your e-signer. If you are an educator renewing a license, your e-signer will be a representative of your LPDC. You will search for and select your district LPDC as a signer. If you are a substitute teacher or aide, the Trumbull County Educational Service Center will be your e-signer. You can contact the TCESC human resources office for complete information about renewing your license.
- You will need a method of payment. ODE will accept Mastercard or VISA.
- Pay attention to the date that you want your license to be issued. If you are a substitute and would like to begin working in the 2014-2015 school year, your issue date should be in 2014. If you are an educator renewing a license, your issue date should be the beginning of the next school year.